Total Pageviews

Saturday, April 2, 2011

Cleaning Fruit and a Giant Strawberry

At least a few times a year I go through a phase where I'm extra germaphobic. I am a germaphobe anyway but sometime it gets worse! Right now is that time. While I was at the grocery store the other day I picked up a cucumber and it was really sticky and waxy, all of the sudden I thought to myself HOW IN THE WORLD DO I CLEAN THIS! Ewww what is on this? Gross! Just washing with water won't do, washing with soap...do i really want to eat soap? NO! A few days later on Dr. Oz he had a special on how to wash fruit and veggies!!!!! Yea my Godsend I can eat that sticky waxy cucumber! But this post is about washing strawberries..yummy! You can use this wash to clean any fruit or veggie. The things you will need is...
  • 1 cup vinegar
  • 1 cup water
  • 1 TBSP baking soda
  • lemon juice
Combine all together in a big bowl. With the lemon juice I just poured a little bit. Now I am completely repulsed by the smell of vinegar but I promise it does not change the taste of your food! The baking soda and vinegar combo will fizz up a little, just like the volcano project from my 7th grade science project! I just threw all my strawberries in the bowl. I didnt take a pic of that part but I took a pic of the dirty water after.
Gross! Look how nasty that is!
Have a clean bowl of water and transfer strawberries
to that bowl to rinse off the wash

I put them on a paper towel to dry, so that I could put them
back into the container they came in *make sure you wash
that good with soap and water too*
And your done. You can enjoy your strawberries a little less germy! Do you see that mutant looking strawberry in the pic above? It was HUGE!
I've never seen anything like this before! It's like 5 or 6
strawberries stuck together
Just look how big it looks compared to my hand!

Hope you all have a great day it is BEAUTIFUL outside! Off to enjoy the day and run some errands with my best friend Sarah!

xoxo
Hayley

No comments:

Post a Comment